Resources for PCCs and Churches
Despite stewardship being an important part of our discipleship, it is an area we often find uncomfortable to address in church, especially money, wealth and possessions. We only need to look at our Bibles to know that we should embrace this area of our faith and strive for improvement.
The sheer number of Bible references (2350 to be precise) to money, wealth and possessions tell us this is of importance to God. As a result we should be striving to help those who attend our churches grow and develop a generous faith. Talking about money is perfectly acceptable in our churches.
Stewardship is about faith development and growing disciples, it is about being open to God’s Will in our parishes and enabling great things within our parishes and across our Diocese.
There are manageable steps to be taken by churches and plenty of resources available to enable this progressions to occur in all parishes. The aim is to enable giving, generosity and money to be talked about openly and effectively in our parishes and for stewardship to be a routine part of parish life.
Victoria James, Stewardship Advisor, Portsmouth Diocese
Parish Giving Scheme
In this parish we have adopted the Parish Giving Scheme, it has benefits both for the Parish and for those giving:
For the Church:
- Stable and often increased planned giving
- Efficient reclaim of Gift Aid
- Protection against inflation by donors choosing to increase their giving annually in line with inflation
- Reduced administration and paper work
- Reduced number of volunteer hours needed
For the Donor:
- Being in total control over how much they give
- A simple giving method which provides regular financial support to their church
- Option to inflation proof their giving
- Protection provided by the Direct Debit Guarantee
- Ability to remain anonymous if they wish